15 March 2009

I <3 the list of Craig

Below is an email I sent in response to a C/L ad for a floor lamp.

-----

I love your lamp. To be honest, I have already exceeded my furnishings budget for the month with a side chair purchase. So, my husband will likely frown if I bring this home. However, I love the lamp so much that I thought I would email to ask if you would be willing to sell the beauty to an admirer who will give it a good home. I think $140 is the maximum I am going to be able squeeze by him.

If it is already sold or your offer is too low, I understand.

Thanks for reading,

-----

The part about the husband and the side chair are not as accurate as they could be, but I really did exceed my monthly furnishings budget. I felt really guilty when I received a response from the seller saying that he would be willing to sell the item to such a "compelling story." That feeling simply evaporated though when I arrived to pick up the lamp and was met with a Maserati parked in front of a multimillion dollar home. Walking into the house to find the lamp next to a few thousand dollars worth of Le Corbusier furniture made me feel like I should have offered a much lower price. I still paid the $140, but inside I was kicking myself for discounting my story telling skills by at least a whole extra $20 worth of savings.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG, you are hilarious dear! your stories are just wonderful.

i would feel like kicking myself too! As you can see, i'm not here to make you feel better...hahaha...

Unknown said...

You ought to be ashamed of yourself! Lying (and now publicizing it) to finagle a $60 discount! What will the youth followers of this blog think?!

What kind of a floor lamp was it? If the seller really had the LCs and a Maserati, I'm guessing s/he had good taste. But there is no way in hell or heaven that you'd get a Flos/Castiglioni Arco Lamp for that cheap. On second guess, was it perhaps a Pablo Pardo Cortina lamp? Tell me, I am dying to know!

PS - Hi Loretta!!!!

The take of a Chinese American tween living in Los Angeles